I was asked that question today and these are the tasks I understand to be my duty as a DevOp engineer.
- systems administration
- operations and monitoring
- (re-) engineering of infrastructure and system environments
- understanding applications from developers
- make developers understand security and systems
- being the bridge between code and system
- quality assurance
- use Agile methods to build and deploy new systems (we're talking about Continuous Deployments here)
- use centralized/programmable configuration management (Ansible, chef, puppet, ..)
- troubleshoot incidents (performance issues, hack attacks, etc)
- write and review documentations
As mentioned above, a DevOp is the bridge between the code and the systems. This image (found on http://stackify.com/defining-the-ops-in-devops/) shows that part very well:
No comments yet.
Personal Internet VMware PHP Linux Shell Bluecoat Proxy Windows Hardware Virtualization Nagios MySQL DB Monitoring Mail Android Network Wyse Hacks Tomcat Postgres Apple Mac Backup BSD ZFS Solaris SmartOS Unix Multimedia Perl Database MongoDB CMS OTRS FreeBSD Wordpress LXC Nginx Proxmox DNS Graphics GlusterFS Security Chef HAProxy Icinga Ansible HTML MariaDB Containers Rancher Docker AWS ELK Kibana Logstash Filebeat Varnish PGSQL PostgreSQL ElasticSearch CouchDB Bash Macintosh Container Minio Grafana InfluxDB Databases NFS OSSEC SystemD Java Zoneminder Surveillance Elasticsearch SSL TLS Icingaweb2 Cloud Wireless Kubernetes Ubuntu